Campus Series: IIT Gandhinagar
Indian Institute of Technology, Gandhinagar (IIT-GN) is a public engineering institute founded in 2008 located in Chandkheda, Ahmedabad, Gujarat. Initially it was established temporarily within campus of Vishwakarma Government Engineering College, Chandkheda. Then under the administration of IIT Bombay, IIT-GN has got its permanent 400-acre campus on the banks of Sabarmati River in Palaj village which was inaugurated by PM Shri Narendra Modi.
Its first batch had 103 students divided into 3 streams namely Chemical, Mechanical and Electrical engineering. Now the college is operating in full force with various streams in undergraduate and post-graduate programs. The current chairperson of IIT-GN is B Baldev Raj. The institute is committed towards the welfare of the students and ensures that they get maximal opportunity to grow academically, develop leadership skills and healthy perspective towards life. Along with focus on academics, students are encouraged to take part in curricular and extra-curricular activities.
The institute also received World Education Award 2013 by the World Education Summit for its five-week immersion Foundation Programme under innovations in engineering education and government of India has declared it as Institute of National Importance.
The young IIT has an outstanding record of taking initiatives to include modernism in their curriculum and governance. It has some of the most environment-friendly green buildings in the country thus have the unique chances of becoming a top-ranked university.
The institute conducts an event called ‘Open House’ catering to the prospective students. In this event, the institute informs students about different disciplines at IITGN and solves their queries and misconceptions. The event also gives students the chance to interact with the students and faculty of the campus.
Facts to be proud of:
- In Jan 2016, the campus bagged the honor of being the greenest campus in India.
- The campus has been given a 5-star rating by The Green Rating for Integrated Habitat Assessment for Large Developments (GRIHA LD).
- It has achieved a score of 25.9% and thus GRIHA LD rating, at a masterplan level. Achieves the distinction of being the first campus in India to be rated a 5-Star, the highest GRIHA LD rating, at a masterplan level.
- National institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF 2018) ranked it 27th among the engineering colleges and 39th
- According to India Today (2018) it is ranked as 20th among engineering colleges.
BTech Admission and Selection Process 2018
Admission to the undergraduate programs is through the common entrance exam, JEE-Advanced, conducted every year for admission to any of the IITs. The examination is held every year in the month of May and to appear in JEE Advanced, first, you need to qualify JEE-Mains which is held in April every year. The admission process generally starts in the month of June depending on the declaration of JEE results. Admission to all the programs will be strictly on merit basis.
Admission to M.Tech programs requires B.Tech./B.E. degree or equivalent in the respective or allied areas with exceptional academic record and possessing a GATE score.
Courses offered and cut-offs
Currently, reservation of 15%, 7.5% and 28% seats are provided for candidates belonging to SC, ST and OBC communities respectively.
In case enough SC/ST candidates do not meet qualifying criteria in the written tests they are further permitted a relaxation of 50%. If some seats are still vacant, further relaxation is offered in terms of deferred admission after the candidate appears for 1 year of Preparatory Course comprising of Physics, Chemistry and Maths. After a year of studying only the candidates who are able to clear the cut-off in end semester are given admission in the course.
The seats that are reserved for SC/ST students are not transferable to General Category and that number of seats roll on to the next year’s students from the Preparatory Courses.
Given is the Fee Structure for 4-Year B.Tech.(2018):
- 100% Tuition Fee waiver for SC/ST/PH students.
- Full remission of the Tuition Fee for General & OBC students with family income is less than Rs.1 lakh/ annum.
- Remission of 2/3rd of the Tuition Fee for General & OBC students with family income is between Rs.1 lakh to Rs.5 lakh /annum.
Seats under undergraduate programme
The institute aims to develop innovative thinking, leadership skills and social awareness in its students through its heavily project-oriented curriculum. This helps the students to be industry-ready by the time their graduation is completed. Career Development Services (CDS), a part of placement cell which came into existence in the year 2010 acts as a link between students and industries/corporate organizations. It helps the students to groom their talents and make them future ready. From all these years they are successful in bringing big-shot companies to the campus and exploring a constructive alliance.
Also, the cell plays a major role in training the students for the placement process. Mock interviews, group discussions, seminars, workshops are arranged so that students can get somewhat look and feel of the placement process.
- Tata Steel
- Bharat Petroleum Corporation Ltd.(BPCL), India
- Larsen & Toubro Ltd.
- Trident Group
- Ericsson India
- Alkyl Amines Chemicals Ltd.
- TEXAS INSTRUMENTS
- Bank of India, India
- Citrix R & D India Pvt. Ltd, Bangalore
- Defense Research and Development Organization (DRDO), India
- Fashion and You.Com, Bangalore
- Finisar, Malaysia
- Flipkart, Bangalore
- Fluidyn, Bangalore
- Grasim Industries, MP
- Flytxt mobile solutions Pvt. Ltd, Trivandrum
- Hospira Inc, Chennai
- JCB India Ltd, Gurgaon
Highest package: 15.5 lakh
Average Salary: 9.3 Lakh
Research Work and Facilities
- IIT-GH in collaboration with Physical Research Laboratory has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) that encourages research collaborations and exchange between the two institutions at the level of advanced Ph.D. programs in theoretical physics, astrophysics, and atmospheric sciences. The collaboration aimed at stimulating research ideas between Ph.D. students and the faculties of both institutions.
- NTT Facilities, Japan, and Gujarat Energy Development Agency (GEDA), Gandhinagar, have each provided a 10-kW roof-top solar photovoltaic (PV) system and helped in installing them in the campus. This system consists of 64 thin-film modules (rated at 150 W) made by Solar Frontier, Japan, while the system sponsored by GEDA consists of 44 multi-crystalline silicon modules (rated 230 W) produced by Jain Irrigation Systems, India.
- Each PV system is expected to generate about 15000 kWh of electricity every year and reducing total CO2 emissions by about 28 tones. These systems have come to work and are already contributing to reducing the energy bills of the institute. Also, these are being used for research in collaboration with Underwriters Laboratories.
- There are several laboratories made available to the students to carry out the research task. Some of them being:
- Cognitive Science Laboratory
- Intelligent Affective Computing and Biometric Lab
- Fuel Cell Systems Research Laboratory
- High-performance Computing Laboratory
- Wind tunnel testing facility
- Wet Chemical Labs
- Materials Electrochemistry Laboratory
- Molecular and Cellular Biology Facility
- Particle Engineering and Powder Processing Laboratory
- Colloids Engineering Laboratory
- Archaeological Sciences Centre
- Biomedical Engineering Centre
- Design and Innovation Centre
- Safety Centre
- Centre for Cognitive Science
- Centre for Sustainable Development
Founded in 2010, Amalthea is the annual technical summit of IITGN. It focuses on spreading technical knowledge and suffusing enthusiasm in the minds of the students to develop technology for the greater good of humans. Bringing together the best minds from industrial and academic worlds and providing a platform of interaction between them, Amalthea promises to entice every prospective engineer. Providing an avenue for showcasing innovative products developed at IITGN, we see the best technology being incubated here in the years to come. It has 4 activities: Conclave, Symposium, Exhibition, and Events.
Conclave: to bridge the gap between academics and industry this event comprises of talk shows by speakers from the corporate world who share their knowledge and experience.
Symposium: is a place to share information on academic research and technological advances.
Exhibition: showcases the technology and products of public interest.
Events: different technical and non-technical events are organized. The events to be conducted are changed every year which includes quizzes and other competitions and the winners are awarded.
An Intra Institute fest, celebrated to bring the whole IIT Gandhinagar family together to experience, relive, share and admire the beauty of technology through fun, amusing activities and events which will fix the dents that science and engineering could not be fun, but could be if viewed from different perspective and would leave the alluring scars of the fair in the minds of audience. Apart from exhibiting creative ideas, there are also various games for whole IITGn family. Around 120 students work on these projects throughout the year and this fest is the finale for all of them. Some of the events include workshops, technical debates and quizzes, Bot wars, interactive sessions, hands-on science challenges.
Jashn, started in the year 2011, is a three-day fun-filled intra-institute cultural fest with innovative, traditional and exciting events/games, including art exhibition, photography and movie-making competitions, quizzes and dance, drama and musical performances. It was started with a vision to promote inter-batch interaction and elevated participation of students in the cultural events.
Blithchron, the two-day cultural festival of IITGN is an event that acts as a catalyst for budding talents from various universities, colleges and institutes from across the country. The fest showcases events like fashion shows, “The Butler Did It”, Antarangee, Panache, Jobless, the rock competition “String Theory”, a dance competition “Synchronize” and many more. The events have seen a total footfall of 22000 students from colleges in Ahmedabad, Vadodara, Surat and Gandhinagar. “Boond”, a blood donation drive, is one of the most actively participated events of Blithchron.
Out of its synergy with TED, a nonprofit organization devoted to “Ideas worth Spreading”, IITGn witnessed its first independent TED event titled TEDx IITGandhinagar on Aug 31, 2014. The event featured seven eminent personalities from diverse domains: Dr Vidyadhar Oke, inventor of the 22 – shruti harmonium; Harun Robert aka Rob, India’s biggest kids’ icon and animation film-maker; Khurshed Batliwala, faculty at Art of living and director of WAYE (World Alliance for Youth Empowerment); Neeti Kailas, a social entrepreneur and winner of the Rolex 2014 Award for Enterprise; Rajat Nagpal, filmmaker and entrepreneur; Jiten Thukral and Sumir Tagra, artist duo determined to blur the line between fine art and popular culture.
Indian Institute of Technology, Gandhinagar(IIT-GN) established in 2008 became Gujarat’s first IIT. This institution still makes Guajarati’s proud for their state. It was like one more addition after NID, CEPT, IIM-A and SVNIT. Institutes of National Importance have a charm of their own. IIT-GN is considered to be one of the best new IITs. Dhyey Shah, an alumni is a young Entrepreneur, founder of a company called 4Dea. He graduated from IIT-Gn in 2015. He speaks that the role of IITGN has always been to give us a great exposure. Apart from that, it gives total freedom, not only to entrepreneurs but also to all students. We frequently interacted with some high-profile guests like Raj Shah (Former Director, Google Maps, Now Apple Maps) and Anjali Joshi (VP Products @ Google). It is a privilege to be a part of the worldwide network of IIT Alumni. In each semester, students get to choose courses they want to study and the professors make the timing of lectures democratically. You can propose your own projects as courses (Make your own course!). Everything is run by students and professors are the advisors. So, throughout your 4-year life, you can propose to start a lot of new things in the institute or easily take a lead in the existing things on campus. We have a mix of faculties which were retired from old IITs and teaching here and young faculties who have done their PhDs from IITs, IISc and prominent US universities. Just like students get the freedom to choose, professors too get a lot of freedom to design and conduct courses in their own manner. One of the best things about any IIT will be the people you live with for the 4 years. You’ll find scholars and geniuses from every state in India. And in the end, hostel bonds are forever. (Living in the IIT-Gn hostel is compulsory for students!) The major summer internships at IIT Gandhinagar are from foreign universities of US, Europe, Israel and Japan.