Online tutoring has become increasingly popular over the last few years, as students have come to recognize the benefits and possibilities that this form of education holds. So, what was once perceived with skepticism has now been embraced with complete appreciation.
Benefits of Online Tuitions
1. Availability – One of the well-known disadvantages of local home tuitions is the time and effort spent in identifying a proficient teacher in the neighborhood who can meet your schedule. Online tuitions eliminate this complexity by removing geographical and commuting restrictions, and enable you to delve into those complex math theorems with your teacher, while you are comfy in your pajamas!
2. Choice – Online tuition portals present before you a range of competent teaching staff who specialize in relevant subjects. Hence, you are armed with the ability to choose one that suits your requirements. For younger students, being able to handpick the age, gender and style of the teacher could motivate them further and help in establishing a special rapport with the tutor.
3. Value for Money – Online tuition portals has competitive pricing for appointments with teachers on an hourly basis. However, you should be vigilant in selecting online tuition sites and avoid portals that do not have favorable reviews and reputation.
4. Use of Technology – Classroom sessions are recorded for future reference, and tutors make use of technology like animations and diagrams for illustrative purposes. This interaction could fuel a sense of novelty and create in students, a renewed enthusiasm for the subject, apart from rendering a futuristic air to the sessions.
5. Flexibility – Online learning is a great option for students who value the balance between studies and family commitments. The convenience of being able to schedule classes when students are at their peak energy is a distinct advantage of online tuitions.
6. Greater Interaction – This is a highly debated topic, but the crux of the matter is leaning in favor of online tuitions. Web-based learning has proven to bring out the best in shy or reticent students. These children are more prone to participate in discussions or classroom chats when it is through an online portal, rather than a physical session.
Tips on Selecting a Good Tuition Service
If you are a prudent parent, you need to keep abreast of all options on the table. Choose a customized tuition program for your child to equip him for future academic success. Today, there are very effective tutoring services online that give the tuition centers at the end of your street a run for their money! Let’s take a look at how we can narrow down on a good tuition service.
1. Start With a Shortlist
Understand what options are available to you, in terms of local classroom tuitions and online portals. Weigh the pros and cons of each, and choose one wisely, based on common criteria like pricing, schedule, and competence of the teacher and institute/website.
2. Small Classrooms
A child is seen to benefit greatly from a small sized classroom, where the tutor is able to assess the child’s strengths, weaknesses and ability to imbibe. The individual attention that the child gains from this exposure is immensely useful, specifically in cases where the child has a history of learning limitations.
Such an environment also nurtures a favorable bond between the child and the tutor that is pivotal in learning breakthroughs and developing continued interest in the subject. So, look for a tuition setup with minimal students per class for greater benefits.
3. Reviews and Recommendations
Word-of-mouth advocacy is the best way to identify a good tuition center. A favorable testimonial is an attestation of a teacher’s style and teaching capabilities.
So, you need to do a bit of investigative work here; consult friends and neighbors, check out the reviews and feedback on online portals, weigh the pros and cons of each option, and then make up your mind.
4. Stay Alert to Prevent Fraud
Freelance tutors with limited credentials and experience are out there to make a fast buck. Stick to reliable companies that run elaborate background checks on tutors and weed out the inappropriate ones.
5. Limit the Number of Classes
Our education system has morphed into a result-driven enterprise, and this has compelled parents to take extreme steps like enrolling their child for multiple tuition classes per day.
This could overwhelm your child and would even be counter-productive to his learning curve. Increased demands, like homework and greater expectations, could pressurize children and drive home a negative aftertaste to the entire tuition process.
So the golden rule is – Stick to one or two classes per day for the all-around enrichment of your child. While doing so, ensure that these classes are taken by proficient tutors who would bring out the best in your child.
6. Look Out For Alternate Options
You are not obliged to stick to the tuitions that you enrolled for, at the beginning of the year. After a substantial period of tutoring, if you do not see any significant improvement in your child’s grades, then you can always relocate him to a different, more effective tuition center.
It is wise to explore online tutoring services in this regard, as they have fantastic options like free classroom trials. Now that is a sure-shot way to segregate reliable services from the fraudulent ones!
7. Proximity and Classroom Management
Last, but definitely not the least, is the criteria of the proximity of the tuition center to your place of residence. This is also the area where online tuitions score maximum over their brick-and-mortar counterparts. Selecting a tuition center that reduces time wasted in commute is the need of the hour.
Always consult with your child on how comfortable he is with the travel to the class and services provided by the tutor. It is, in fact, of utmost importance to discuss with your child and identify if he is in favor of the way the classroom in managed by the teacher. This is the best yardstick to assess the success or failure of tuitions that he has newly embarked on.
In addition to the cultivation of a disciplined study timetable, it is important to develop a healthy balance of work and play so that the child is able to enjoy her student years.